Disney’s Hollywood Studios has come a long way in its first three decades. As the Walt Disney World Resort theme park celebrates its 30th anniversary on May 1, 2019, now, more than ever is the time to bask in the glow of the historic transformation taking place. This park has certainly changed (not just its name) since its opening. We’re so excited to see where this park goes next!
On its opening day, the park gave guests a behind-the-scenes look at moviemaking, and many of the Tinseltown icons that debuted on May 1, 1989, remain, such as re-creations of the Chinese Theatre and The Hollywood Brown Derby. Today, the park is also evolving into a place that envelops guests in even more immersive experiences. From high-octane fun with Lightning McQueen to celebrating with the Incredibles, singing along with Anna and Elsa to playing like a toy with Woody and Buzz Lightyear, today’s Disney’s Hollywood Studios brings stories to life in whole new ways.
And there is still so much more excitement to come, with the August 29, 2019, debut of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and the planned opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway in spring 2020. These additions mark a new generation of attractions that will cement the transformation of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and propel the park into a bright future.
“From the early days of making movies to today’s focus on engaging guests, putting them in the story, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has followed an amazing arc across three decades,” said Phil Holmes, vice president of the park. “I’m thrilled with its transformation and look forward to an exciting future. Given all the new and coming attractions, our message to guests is clear: let your adventures begin at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.”
What’s New Around Disney’s Hollywood Studios During Its 30th Anniversary Year
- At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, guests learn what it takes to be a champion racer. Lightning McQueen, star of Pixar Animation Studios’ Cars films, uses state-of-the-art technology and a massive wraparound screen to teach the rules of the road as guests become rookie racers in this new show experience. In the courtyard outside, the world of Cars comes to life for guests as DJ, the ultimate party on wheels, spins a music mix and trainer-turned-racer Cruz Ramirez takes photos with her fans. “DJ’s Ready! Set! Party Time!” also offers Cars-inspired dancing and games, and guests can pose with the Piston Cup.
- Woody, Jessie, Buzz and other fun-loving Toy Story characters welcome guests to Toy Story Land, where they feel like “honorary toys” in the larger-than-life outdoor setting of Andy’s backyard. Amid giant-sized toys, guests can experience the family-friendly roller coaster Slinky Dog Dash, take a spin on Alien Swirling Saucers and enjoy the 4D fun of Toy Story Mania! And starting this summer, Bo Peep from Disney and Pixar’s “Toy Story 4” will make appearances in Toy Story Land.
- Channel your inner Supers during An Incredible Celebration, as Pixar Place transforms into Municiberg for a dance party inviting guests to celebrate the heroics of Mr. Incredible, Mrs. Incredible and Frozone. Incredibles edibles and shelves of Incredibles merchandise tempt guests, who can also meet designer Edna Mode and have a look around the wardrobe creations in her impossibly “dahling” gallery. Guests may also spot signs of the youngest Incredible – the mischief-minded and multi-powered Jack-Jack. (The Incredible Celebration runs through September 30, 2019)
- With its pulsing lights and singalong-worthy songs, the new Disney Junior Dance Party! invites kids to jump, twirl and move their feet with characters from Disney Junior television series live onstage. Doc McStuffins, Vampirina, Timon and Mickey Mouse lead the fun of this high-energy show.
- Mike and Sulley from Disney and Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” greet guests in Walt Disney Presents, a walk-through gallery exploring Walt Disney’s creative legacy and showcasing concept art and models of upcoming park additions. (Mike and Sulley will greet guests through September 30, 2019).
Coming Attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- On August 29, 2019, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will mark a major milestone in its 30-year history when the much-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens to guests. This expansive and immersive new land will transport guests to the distant planet of Batuu, where they can live out their own Star Wars adventures (subject to capacity). They can take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run or explore Black Spire Outpost in search of rare antiquities and exotic food and drinks. Opening later this year will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, putting guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
- Imagine being inside a Mickey Mouse cartoon short! Anything can happen aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, where guests will burst through the Chinese Theatre movie screen and join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and pals on a wacky adventure. The first ride-through attraction themed to Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, it will feature dazzling visual effects, a lovable theme song and surprising twists and turns that will be fun for the entire family.
- To get to all this action, guests will be able to access Disney’s Hollywood Studios via Disney Skyliner, a state-of-the-art gondola system opening later this year that will connect the park (and Epcot) to four Disney resort hotels. Soaring above Walt Disney World Resort, guests will have views never seen before as they prepare to let their adventures begin at the newly transformed Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.