Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the largest, most technologically advanced single-themed land expansion ever in a Disney park, enjoyed an amazing grand opening ceremony in Disneyland. Some very special guests were on hand to open the Galaxy’s Edge. Catch all the details below along everything you needs to know about Star Wars to be ready for Galaxy’s Edge.
The Walt Disney Company celebrated the momentous dedication of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in an epic ceremony at Disneyland Park. Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger unveiled the new land that is set to open to the general public at Disneyland Park on May 31, and also at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida on August 29.
“Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is absolutely amazing and we are thrilled to finally share it with the world,” said Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “Now, for the first time, fans will be able to immerse themselves in the iconic stories that have captured audiences’ imaginations for decades and live their own Star Wars adventures in the most creative, innovative and ambitious land we’ve ever built.”
To dedicate Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Iger was joined in front of the Millennium Falcon by Star Wars icons including George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams. In a ceremony set to the soaring John Williams score composed especially for the land, global media and invited guests were the very first to see the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy roar to life.
“With Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Disney is redefining the theme park experience and setting a new bar for experiential storytelling,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. “From each authentic detail to the land’s jaw-dropping scale, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge exceeds every expectation.”
When it opens to the public at Disneyland Resort on May 31 and at Walt Disney World Resort on Aug. 29, guests will be transported to the remote planet of Batuu*, full of unique sights, sounds, smells and tastes. Guests can become part of the story as they sample galactic food and beverages, explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.
Phase two, opening later this year, will feature Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined, which will place guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and reality. In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.
Once guests step foot on Batuu, they will be part of the action as it unfolds around them, and their interactions with the Play Disney Parks mobile app** will deepen their engagement with the land – the first land within a Disney park designed to integrate with the app. They may choose to aid a smuggler, join the Resistance or pledge their loyalty to the First Order. This depth of storytelling is part of the total immersion that will distinguish the two, 14-acre lands from any other themed land in history.
The new lands build off decades of collaboration between Walt Disney Imagineering and Lucasfilm Ltd., a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production, including the Star Wars franchise. The work on Star Wars between these two creative powerhouses dates back to 1987, when the groundbreaking Star Tours attraction opened at Disneyland Park in California.
You can watch the opening ceremony below:
RELATED ARTICLE: Star Wars 101-A Brief Introduction to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
The Star Wars saga was created by American filmmaker George Lucas and produced by Lucasfilm Ltd., the California-based entertainment company he founded in 1971. When Lucas retired in 2012, The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm and Disney continues to create stories about this galaxy far, far away.
Star Wars encompasses 10 feature films (with an 11th out by the end of 2019), several television series and a plethora of novels, comic books, video games and other forms of entertainment, which now includes Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, an-all new land opening at Disneyland Resort in California on May 31, 2019, and at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida on Aug. 29, 2019.*
- “Star Wars: The Phantom Menace” (1999) – Anakin Skywalker, a young slave strong with the Force, is discovered on Tatooine. Meanwhile, the evil Sith have returned, enacting their plot for revenge against the Jedi.
- “Star Wars: Attack of the Clones” (2002) – Anakin Skywalker must choose between his Jedi duty and forbidden love, while Obi-Wan Kenobi uncovers a sinister plot that leads to the Galactic Civil War.
- “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith” (2005) – Faced with haunting premonitions that his secret wife will die, Anakin Skywalker is seduced by the dark side and becomes Darth Vader.
- “Star Wars: A New Hope” (1977) – Luke Skywalker begins a journey that will change the galaxy, as he leaves his home planet of Tatooine, joins the Rebel Alliance to battle the evil Empire and learns the ways of the Force.
- “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back” (1980) – Darth Vader leads the hunt for Luke Skywalker and his Rebel Alliance.
- “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi” (1983) – Luke Skywalker heads a mission to rescue Han Solo from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt and faces Darth Vader one last time.
- “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (2015) – Thirty years after the defeat of the Empire, Luke Skywalker has vanished and a new threat has risen – the First Order. The Resistance are the galaxy’s only hope at thwarting a new reign of evil.
- “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” (2017) – The First Order looks to crush what’s left of the Resistance and cement its grip on the galaxy, but hope survives as Rey has found Luke Skywalker.
- “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” (Dec. 20, 2019)
Star Wars Stories
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” (2016) – In a time of conflict, a group of unlikely heroes band together on a mission to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire’s ultimate weapon of destruction.
- “Solo: A Star Wars Story” (2018) – Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca, encounters the notorious Lando Calrissian and boards the Millennium Falcon for the first time in a series of adventures within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld.
KEY TELEVISION SERIES
- “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” (2008 – present) – Set between “Star Wars: Attack of the Clones” and “Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith,” the Republic’s clone army struggles against Count Dooku’s Separatist forces; the series features Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Hondo Ohnaka and more.
- “Star Wars Rebels” (2014 – 2017) – Set five years before “Star Wars: A New Hope,” the Rebellion begins to form while the Empire spreads tyranny through the galaxy.
- “Star Wars Resistance” (2018 – present) – Set prior to “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” a young Resistance pilot is tasked with a top-secret mission to investigate the First Order.
The written language of the Star Wars galaxy.
The term for “gun” in the Star Wars galaxy. These weapons come in two basic forms – pistols and rifles – with a wide variety of modifications depending on use – and user.
The Star Wars equivalent of an electronic tablet. When guests use the Play Disney Parks app** on their mobile devices while inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the app interface transforms to resemble a Datapad.
The term for robot in the Star Wars galaxy. There are many different types, with a wide range of complexity and specialties. Some are meant to accomplish simple or mechanical tasks, some are deployed in battle, and some can converse fluently with humans.
The phrase “may the Force be with you” is peppered throughout the Star Wars saga, referring to the mystical energy field generated by all life forms. Some beings in the Star Wars galaxy dedicate their lives to it, while others don’t believe in it. The Force is not good or evil, but it can be used for either – it has a light side and a dark side. Some are able to use the Force for a kind of extrasensory perception and power, moving objects with their minds, choking people from afar and other abilities.
The First Order
Following the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War in “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi,” some members of the Empire escaped into the far reaches of the galaxy, eventually resurfacing as the First Order. Ruling through force and fear, they seek to overthrow the New Republic.
Spacecraft equipped with a hyperdrive can travel at lightspeed (faster than the speed of light) and access an alternate dimension known as “hyperspace.” This allows ships to travel hyperspace lanes and traverse great distances across the galaxy in a much shorter time than using sublight engines. The phrase “make the jump to lightspeed” is commonly used in the Star Wars galaxy when referring to accessing hyperspace. Stars stretch into lines of light when jumping to lightspeed, and hyperspace is identifiable by its mottled, pulsating waves of light.
A noble group of protectors unified by their ability to tap into the power of the Force. The Jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, until they were eradicated by Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine during the Galactic Civil War.
The weapon of a Jedi, it can be used to cut through blast doors or enemies alike. Using the Force, a Jedi can predict and deflect incoming blaster bolts. At its heart is a kyber crystal that focuses energy into a blade; the crystal is attuned to the Force and connected to a Jedi on a deeply personal level.
After the Rebel Alliance defeated the Empire at the Battle of Endor in “Star Wars: Return of the Jedi,” the New Republic was formed to help govern the galaxy. Promoting peace and disarmament, the New Republic oversaw 30 years of tranquility but was divided in its response to the rise of the First Order.
A remote, often lawless region of the galaxy on the edge of Wild Space, far from the more developed and populated Core Worlds.
A small, secretive, private military force founded by rebel hero Leia Organa to monitor the actions of the First Order. The cash-strapped movement relies on credits, ships and equipment quietly funneled from the few New Republic senators who share her concerns.
These elite shock troops are fanatically loyal to the First Order. They wear imposing white armor, which offers a range of survival equipment and temperature controls to allow the soldiers to survive in almost any environment. They wield blaster rifles with great skill and attack in hordes to overwhelm their enemies.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.