Basketball lovers get excited because the NBA experience opening is just around the corner on August 12, 2019. For now, guests have the opportunity to get ready by shopping at the newly opened NBA store at Disney Springs. Catch all the details below.
Disney Cast Member Jeremy Schoolfield has all the details below:
We’re almost ready for tipoff at NBA Experience, so it’s time to start dressing the part! This new, one-of-a-kind destination coming to Disney Springs officially debuts Aug. 12, and you can already find cool, exclusive merchandise at the NBA Store that’s now open inside NBA Experience. It’s the place for items that blend NBA authenticity with Disney storytelling.
NBA Experience evokes the feel of a modern NBA arena, and its retail location maintains that same vibe – it’s sleek and vibrant. As you explore the space, you’ll find a diverse collection of merchandise, from clothing to purses and backpacks to pins, toys and collectibles … and much more. Here are a few items that stood out during my most recent visit:
Character Clothing – Disney created new basketball action poses for Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy just for NBA Experience, and each character is featured on his or her own special shirt – and socks!
Official NBA Experience Apparel – The slick NBA Experience logo can be found on polos, t-shirts, tanks, long-sleeve shirts and more.
Customizable Collection – In the middle of the store you’ll find a D Tech on Demand station that allows you to add customization to MagicBands, water bottles, smartphone cases, magnets and ornaments.
Backpacks – Sure to be a fan favorite is the Loungefly mini-backpack featuring Mickey Mouse Ears and a pebble-grain design that mimics a basketball. There’s also a stylish full-size backpack with the NBA Experience logo that would be great for your next outing to the gym or for kids going back to school.
Exclusive Mickey Mouse Ear Hats – Did I save the best for last? Possibly! The NBA Store features an exclusive set of Mickey Mouse Ear Hats that look just like you’re wearing a basketball!
These are just a few that grabbed my attention, and there’s so much more to find in this expansive new store, including plenty of NBA team apparel, player jerseys (including all-time great retired players) and collectibles.
Go check it out, and then get ready for tipoff at NBA Experience on Aug. 12 – tickets are on sale now wherever Walt Disney World Resort park tickets are sold!
RELATED ARTICLE: Coming Soon: NBA Experience at Disney Springs-What You Need to Know
by Chad and Cindy Nykamp
For the first time, Walt Disney World Resort is giving guests and basketball fans a glimpse of the exciting action coming to the new NBA Experience at Disney Springs in summer 2019. This one-of-a-kind destination – developed by Walt Disney Imagineering in collaboration with the NBA – will feature hands-on activities that immerse guests into the world of professional basketball. Catch all that you need to know about this new interactive experience below.
1 – NBA Experience
“Developed with the NBA, and inspired by the league’s 29 arenas around the country, NBA Experience will highlight the heart-pounding action and excitement of the NBA world,” said Stan Dodd, Executive Producer, Walt Disney Imagineering. “From training simulations and clock-racing competitions to fan-favorite NBA moments – we’re bringing new experiences and thrilling games to life to make fans truly feel like a star player.”
“The Walt Disney Imagineering team has unparalleled expertise in creating best-in-class attractions for the millions of guests who visit their parks each year,” said Salvatore LaRocca, President, Global Partnerships, NBA. “The NBA Experience will be a destination for basketball fans from all over the world, and we are excited to partner with Disney to bring new and lifelong fans closer to the game.”
2 – Opening August 12
NBA Experience coming to Disney Springs officially opens August 12, 2019. In collaboration with the NBA, Disney is developing NBA Experience as a one-of-a-kind environment packed with 13 interactive elements and hands-on activities across 44,000 square feet and two floors.
3 – Be a Basketball Superstar
NBA Experience will give guests the chance to feel like a basketball superstar.
“When we were young, we played basketball in our driveways or in the park, creating those imaginary moments of making the game-winning shot for a championship,” said Stan Dodd, executive producer, Walt Disney Imagineering. “We want to take that energy and help you feel what it’s like to be an actual NBA or WNBA player.”
4 – Different Stations to Explore
NBA Experience will feature something for everyone. Upon entry to NBA Experience, guests will feel as if they’re walking through the players’ tunnel at an NBA or WNBA arena. A ticket to NBA Experience grants access to every activity, in any order guests choose, with the ability to return to stations to improve performances or learn even more about the game, players, and teams they love.
Additional elements of the destination include:
- A slam dunk challenge, where guests can change the height of a standard 10-foot hoop to as low as seven feet to perform their own superstar moves – captured by burst photography.
- An activity that tests shooting skills with spots on a court that light up as guests move from one location to another attempting to sink as many shots as possible in 15 seconds.
- A way for guests to see how they stack up to some of the world’s best basketball players by measuring their vertical leap, wingspan, shooting and dribbling.
- Personalization for various activities with guests’ names and associating the activity with their favorite NBA or WNBA teams.
- Real-time technology to aggregate statistics of NBA and WNBA games and players for continuous updates, while leaderboards will track top NBA Experience performers throughout each day.
- Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo moment that re-creates the atmosphere of the draft stage.
- Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd as they maneuver through a series of timed shots to aim for a high score.
- Test their ball-handling skills with an interactive trainer who will challenge them with a variety of dribbling routines.
- Use an oversized slingshot to launch basketballs at hoops of varying heights, making as many shots as possible before the clock runs out in this thrilling timed challenge.
- Immerse themselves in the rich legacy and history of NBA and WNBA championship-winning teams.
- Access a team locker room that showcases up-to-date statistics and visuals of top NBA and WNBA players.
- Test their knowledge of the NBA and WNBA – past and present – during a trivia game with up to 25 participants competing against one another to be champion.
- Enjoy two 180-degree cinematic presentations that showcase the in-arena experience moments before the start of the game, as well as special stories from the players’ perspectives.
- Take a seat at an interactive multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games, using the tools at their stations to make the right calls.
- Play interactive basketball games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to modern video games.
In addition to these games and competitions, NBA Experience will also include a retail store featuring exclusive NBA-themed merchandise designed by Disney.
5 – Tickets are now on Sale
Tickets to NBA Experience are $34 (plus tax) for guests ages 10 and older, and $29 (plus tax) for children ages 3-9. They are available wherever Walt Disney World tickets are sold, including Disneyworld.com/NBAExperience or any Walt Disney World ticket window.
Note: Tickets are valid through Dec. 31, 2020 and provide one admission to NBA Experience; re-entry is not permitted. Age restrictions may apply. For convenience, you may view the waiver in advance at disneyworld.com/expwaiver. Prices do not include tax. All tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable and exclude activities/events separately priced. The amount paid for any unused ticket may be applied toward the purchase of a new ticket at the current price.
6 – Plan For Your Experience
Since there is no re-entry you’ll want to plan ahead for your experience. Be sure to wear (or bring) athletic shoes and wear comfortable clothing since you’ll be moving around a lot. You’ll also be asked to sign a waiver prior to starting your activities; children under 18 will need a parent or guardian to sign the waiver for them.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.