After years of waiting, the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is here. We enjoyed a front-row viewing of the Grand Opening Ceremony on August 28. We also got a sneak peek at Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge officially opens to the public Thursday, August 29, 2019. More details on the opening ceremony along with an exciting sneak peek at the upcoming attraction, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance below.
1 – Grand Opening Ceremony
When you walk into the Black Spire Outpost on the planet of Batuu, the inhabitants of the outpost greet you with, “Bright Suns.” It’s true that the three suns on the planet of Batuu are exceptionally bright and hot. The morning of the opening was nice and toasty, but we were not complaining! We were excited to have a front-row spot for the ceremony.
On August 28, 2019, Bob Chapek, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, was flanked by the mighty Chewbacca and other Star Wars characters as fireworks exploded overhead during the land’s dedication ceremony.
“With the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, we’ve set a new standard for the most immersive storytelling in the galaxy,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. “Every experience in Batuu – from piloting the Millennium Falcon to building your own droid – puts guests deeper into their own Star Wars story.”
The ceremony was an exciting end to a whirlwind visit to Batuu. The characters on stage were a great reminder that we get to interact with the Star Wars Universe in such a special way while visiting Black Spire Outpost. It’s such a unique experience! We know you’re going to love visiting!
2 – Your Own Star Wars Story
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, which opened at Disneyland Park in California on May 31, 2019, is the largest and most technologically advanced single-themed land expansion ever in a Disney park. The 14-acre land transports guests to the remote planet of Batuu, full of unique sights, sounds, smells, and tastes.
Guests become part of their own Star Wars stories as they experience galactic food and beverages, such as iconic Blue Milk and Green Milk. They can craft their own lightsabers or build their own droids in immersive, interactive retail experiences. They can explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops and may even come across iconic Star Wars characters.
3 – Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
In one of the land’s signature attractions, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, guests take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy as pilots, gunners or flight engineers in an exhilarating experience that responds in real-time to the actions they take. I had so much fun on this attraction! We’ll be bringing you more on this thrilling experience soon!
4 – Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
A second anchor attraction, opening December 5, 2019, at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida and January 17, 2020, at Disneyland Park in California, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be one of the most ambitious, advanced and immersive experiences ever undertaken by Walt Disney Imagineering. The innovative new attraction will take guests aboard a full-size transport shuttle before they are captured by a Star Destroyer and wind up in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance. The harrowing adventure will blur the lines between fantasy and reality on a scale never seen before in a Disney attraction.
5 – New Details About Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Prior to the August 29 grand opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney Imagineering released additional details about what promises to be one of the most thrilling experiences ever created for a Disney theme park:
- Guests will join the Resistance and depart from Batuu in a transport ship to meet General Leia Organa at a secret rendezvous point. However, on their way to the hidden base, guests are intercepted and taken prisoner by the First Order as their ship is drawn into the hangar bay of a Star Destroyer. The action then ramps up as guests seek to escape the clutches of Kylo Ren and the First Order.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will bring guests face to face with some of their favorite Star Wars characters, including Resistance heroes Rey, Poe and Finn, as well as Kylo Ren and General Hux of the First Order.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is one of the largest attractions Disney has ever created. Its massive show building is a world unto itself, housing two full-sized AT-AT walkers and a Star Destroyer hangar bay – complete with a TIE fighter and a garrison of Stormtroopers – plus more thrills and surprises. Cindy had a chance to walk in the Destroyer hanger bay and it was AMAZING. The group she was with all cheered with excitement. We can’t wait for this attraction to open!
- Walt Disney Imagineering will combine multiple ride systems to tell the story of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. In one sequence, a new simulator experience will give the sensation to guests they are falling from space to crash land on Batuu.
- During a portion of the experience, guests will race through a Star Destroyer in a trackless ride vehicle featuring an onboard droid that reacts to its surroundings.
6 – Thrilling Partnership
The new land builds off decades of collaboration between Walt Disney Imagineering and Lucasfilm Ltd., a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production, including the Star Wars franchise. The work on Star Wars between these two creative powerhouses dates back to 1987, when the groundbreaking Star Tours attraction opened at Disneyland Park in California.
7 – So Much to Explore
There is so much to explore at Black Spire Outpost. We only scratched the surface on our visit. In the next few weeks, we’ll be bringing you a lot of articles on Galaxy’s Edge so you can plan for the best experience during your visit to Batuu! Be sure to sign up for our newsletter so you don’t miss a thing!
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.