Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the first land within a Disney park specifically designed to integrate with the Play Disney Parks mobile app. When guests choose to use the Play Disney Parks app in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, they will be able to transform it into their very own Star Wars: Datapad. We saw a demonstration of the app in action, and we can’t wait to try it out for ourselves. Learn more about this amazing technology below.
1 – Play Disney Parks App
The Play Disney Parks app is a mobile app that connects family and friends to the theme parks with unique experiences and activities that bring surrounding environments to life. The app debuted last year and offers interactive adventures and experiences that bring surrounding environments to life at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort. Many guests have enjoyed the app throughout the parks. Using the app in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge provides new opportunities for guests to engage with the land, such as translating a galactic language or learning what’s hidden inside crates and containers.
2 – Star Wars: Datapad
In the land, guests will be able to transform the Play Disney Parks app into their very own Star Wars: Datapad on their mobile devices. As guests earn galactic credits for things they do in the land using their Datapad, the credits will show in their Datapad profile.
3 – App Primary Functions
Guests can use the Play Disney Parks app to interact with elements in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The app will provide four primary functions to unlock a deeper level of storytelling within the land:
- Hack–Interact with certain droids, blinking door panels and other scenic elements
- Scan–Explore the contents of cargo crates and other containers and collect virtual items
- Translate–This will particularly help you understand Aurebesh (the written language of theStar Wars galaxy)
- Tune–Tap into the signals from satellite dishes and antenna arrays to eavesdrop on characters’ conversations
4 – Outpost Control
Throughout the day, guests may participate in a multiplayer game throughout the land, “Outpost Control,” to support either the Resistance or the First Order.
- The First Order wants to install surveillance devices in door panels to spy on the Resistance, while the Resistance is trying to remove them
- Guests can choose to support either side by hacking the panels for the Resistance or the First Order
- The game concludes when one side successfully hacks a majority of the available panels.
- Winners may even find themselves rewarded with galactic credits for their efforts.
5 – Other Interactions with Black Spire Outpost
While waiting to board Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, guests will find an in-queue game. Scott Trowbridge, Portfolio Creative Executive for Walt Disney Imagineering explains that “while getting ready to board the most famous ship in the galaxy, you can even take on a job for Hondo Ohnaka, the pirate turned “legitimate” businessman operating Ohnaka Transport Solutions out of Black Spire Outpost. Reroute misplaced cargo, learn how to keep your cover under pressure and prep the Falcon for your flight in this in-queue game!”
Finally, certain functions performed with the app may trigger physical effects within the land.
6 – See the App in Action
Disney Cast Member Rachel gave us a demonstration of the app in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Check out the video below to see the app in action.
7 – Download the App Before You Visit
You’ll want to download the app before you visit the Disney parks. Download the app through the App Store and Google Play!
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.