Bringing your furry friend with you to the most magical place on earth? No problem! Disney has your pet needs covered between pet-friendly resort rooms, resort pet boarding/kennels, pet-friendly camping, and service animal allowances. It’s no wonder Pluto is always so happy with these excellent pet options available! Here’s a list of what you need to know before traveling to Disney World with pets.
1 – Stay in Pet-Friendly Rooms
Except for service dogs, pets are not allowed in theme parks, most Disney resorts, or theme park buses. However, Disney now offers dog-friendly rooms in 4 out of the 26 Disney Resorts. The four locations include Disney’s Art of Animation, Disney Port Orleans-Riverside, Disney’s Yacht Club, and The Cabins at Fort Wilderness. The offering consists of Pluto’s Welcome Kit, which gives dogs and their owners a collection of dog-friendly items. Particular floors or sections of these Disney Resort hotels are designated as dog-friendly, while the majority of areas remain canine-free to accommodate Guests with allergies or other needs. You may have up to 2 dogs per room at dog-friendly Disney resorts. Also at these resorts are green spaces that have been identified as pet relief areas. As the owner, you will be responsible for cleaning up after your pet. There is an extra charge for a dog-friendly room. At Art of Animation, Port Orleans-Riverside, and The Cabins at Fort Wilderness, there is a $50 per night plus tax charge applied to the room. If you are staying at Disney’s Yacht Club with a pet, the charge is $75 per night. Also note that you must be able to provide documentation that your dog’s vaccinations and immunizations are up to date, upon request.
2 – Resort Pet Boarding/Kennels @ Best Friends Pet Care
Disney also offers a variety of resort accommodations for your pets at the Best Friends Pet Care located on Disney World property. Known as an “A Resort for Pets,” Best Friends Pet Care is the perfect place to let your furry friend spend time enjoying their own activities and retreat away from home!
- Amenities: The amenities at Best Friends are fascinating, with 17,000 Sq. Ft. air-conditioned space, 10,000 Sq. Ft. of covered outdoor areas, and a 25,000 Sq. Ft. dog park. Not only is the space a pet owner and a pets’ dream come true, but the staff at Best Friends is made up of 45 highly trained pet care providers. The best part is you can drop by and see your pet during the Best Friends hours, which are one hour before the theme parks open through one hour after closing.
- Overnight Accommodations: Need Best Friends to tuck your pet in for the night? No problem – Best Friends has room for 300 dogs, cats, and small pets. Make advanced reservations; however, as Best Friends does stay busy! Packages are available depending on what your pet’s needs might be. For dogs, you might try the “VIP Luxury Suite,” which includes a 226 Sq. Ft. suite, 2 potty walks, 2 playgroups, a flat-screen television, webcam, bedtime story, and, after a 3-day stay, a bath. There are also Vacation Villas, Indoor/Outdoor Suites, and Indoor Suites for dogs. For cats, there are 2 and 4 level condos. They also have a small pet option – for a bird, for example. Packages vary in price, so select what works best for your pet.
- Day Care: Just looking to get away for a day trip? Pets staying for Day Care will enjoy the same amenities and service as overnight pets. Please drop them off in the morning, spend the day at the park, and pick them up on your way out.
- Activities: Best Friends has activities, that well, even sound like fun to us! Some examples for dogs are playgroup, cuddle time, bedtime story, and an ice-cream break. Cats can indulge in playtime, cookies and milk, and even tuna on a Ritz!
- Grooming: Pedicures, skin treatments, shampoo, and cut – your pets can have it all at Best Friends.
- Need to Know: Bring documentation along with you from your vet stating that your pet is up-to-date on all their vaccinations. Best Friends Pet Care also does not allow venomous pets, primates, wildlife, or exotic species. For more information, reservations, and prices you can call Best Friends Pet Care at 877-493-9738, or visit the Best Friends Pet Care website: bestfriendspetcare.com.
3 – Pet-Friendly Camping
Did you know Disney’s Fort Wilderness is a Pet-Friendly Resort? When booking your campsite at Fort Wilderness, let the Cast Member know you would like to request a pet-friendly loop. Here are some Fort Wilderness Pet Policies you’ll want to know before you bring along your furry friend:
- Keep your pet on a leash that is 8 ft. or shorter.
- When off the leash, pets are to be kept inside a climate-controlled personal RV. They are not allowed in tents or pop-up campers.
- Dogs are welcome to play in the off-leash Waggin’ Trails Dog Park or walk the many on-leash trails.
- Clean up after your pet’s droppings.
- If there is an interference of surrounding guests (such as a dog that is constantly barking), Guest Services can ask you to remove the pet to a kennel off-site or leave the resort.
4 – Service Animals
Guests with disabilities and service animals are of course welcome at Disney World resorts and theme parks! Here are a few helpful pieces of information to make your Disney trip more enjoyable for both you and your service animal.
- Disney defines a service animal as “a dog or miniature horse trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability”.
- Service Animals must remain on a leash or harness.
- Sorry, but Cast Members cannot handle the service animals for you at any time.
- Enter through the same entrance as guests who use wheelchairs.
- Service animals are not permitted to ride select attractions. For example, they are not allowed on Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom or Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studios. Disney has a fantastic list of which rides service animals are permitted/not permitted to ride on. We suggest you browse this list before making theme park plans.
- Take advantage of Rider Switch if you have someone in your group that can handle the service animal while you ride.
- If needed, ask a Cast Member if they have a portable kennel available if you are traveling solo and want to ride an attraction.
Service Animal Relief Areas:
- Disney World theme parks and resorts have service animal relief areas situated throughout each park. Location and maps are available online or you can ask a Cast Member and they will point you in the right direction.
- If unable to make it to a relief area, Disney expects the owner to pick up after the animal and leave the area clean.
We hope you and your sweet pet have a magical time at Disney World!
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.