Do you like ketchup? And we mean – LOTS of ketchup?! Well, have we got the perfect restaurant for you! Ok, but seriously, even if you don’t like ketchup, Whispering Canyon Café is a resort restaurant you won’t want to miss. Check out these seven things to know below.
1 – A Stately Location
Whispering Canyon Café is a table-service restaurant located in one of Disney’s most stunning lobbies at the rustic, yet stately, Wilderness Lodge Resort. Once you enter the Wilderness Lodge, look to your left to easily spot Whispering Canyon Cafe. One of the best parts of dining here is the open atmosphere as you can look out over the impressive resort lobby while you dine. The rustic appeal flows throughout the restaurant in the floor-to-ceiling woodwork. The western décor shines through with Cowboys and Indians in the wall art and on the chairs. Around the corner from the main dining area, you’ll find a few nooks that provide a more intimate dining experience, including a cozy fireplace. Even if you aren’t staying at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, this is one resort restaurant that is worth dropping in for.
2 – The Antics Have Been Toned Down
You may have fond (or not so fond) memories of a loud, bustling restaurant with guests going from table to table sharing ketchup bottles, wise-cracking servers, and kids being invited to run in horse races during dinner. However, due to current health and safety restrictions, the antics have been toned down at the restaurant. While servers will likely give you a hard time, much like at 50’s Prime Time Diner, ketchup bottles are not shared and kids are not asked to run through the restaurant on hobby horses. It makes for a quieter, more relaxing meal and will appeal to many people who did not care for the loud antics.
3 – Kids Will LOVE It
With two children of our own, we can say this is a favorite stop for young ones. Whispering Canyon offers more than just some crayons and a coloring menu for kids! If you have to wait for a table, the kids can keep occupied with the table full of Lincoln Logs in the waiting area. The kiddos will love the atmosphere and the great children’s menu including the all-you-care-to-enjoy kids’ skillet and other kid-friendly favorites!
4 – Yummy Signature Skillets
While the fun atmosphere above is a huge highlight, we must say the food is AMAZING at Whispering Canyon. The cuisine matches the theme of the restaurant with western-inspired, hearty dishes for any hungry Cowboy or Cowgirl. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner have different menus that are tastebud-worthy! The star of each menu goes to the all-you-care-to-enjoy signature skillets. If you order a skillet, an actual skillet of food comes to your table and is replenished as often as you’d like.
- Breakfast and Lunch: For breakfast, you can order from one of three skillets including The Heritage (Mickey waffles, biscuits, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, fruit, and potatoes), The Carnivore (cornbread, pork ribs, beef brisket, pulled pork, chicken corn, and potatoes), and The Lighter Side (oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, potatoes, and Mickey-shaped waffles). The cost is $24 per person.
- Dinner: When dinner rolls around, the skillets turn it up a notch in variety with four skillets to choose from including The Traditional (beef brisket, ribs, pork, chicken, veggies), The Pig (it’s all about the pork!), The Land and Sea (salmon, chicken, veggies), and Plant-Based (a veggie fan’s delight). The cost is $36 a person.
A skillet is the way to go, especially if you are hungry! It’s a great variety and really like dining at a buffet without having to get up out of your seat.
5 – Not a Skillet fan? No Worries!
If you aren’t looking for that all-you-care-to-enjoy meal, Whispering Canyon’s menus still have a great variety of goodness without the skillet. At breakfast, you can order an omelet, eggs benedict, oatmeal, pancakes, and more. For lunch, the sandwiches are delish with selections like a turkey sandwich, pulled-pork sandwich, and grilled chicken sandwich. A burger and salads are also available. The dinner menu really features the skillets but also has a couple of entrees like the New York strip, salmon, and quinoa cakes.
6 – Dessert and Cocktails
Try the warm Granny Smith apple pie or the Pioneer chocolate cake for a delicious treat. And let’s not forget the adult beverages! Whether it’s a mimosa at breakfast, a Mountaineer Margarita at lunch, or a glass (or bottle) from the long wine list at dinner – you’re sure to find that cocktail that is right for you.
7 – A Few Tips
Editor’s Note: At this time, the Disney Dining Plans are temporarily unavailable, however, Disney has confirmed they will return.
Make the most of your Whispering Canyon experience by letting loose and enjoying the antics! Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Reservations aren’t required but are highly recommended. Go ahead and book your dining experience 60 days in advance. With this being said, there have been times Whispering Canyon is a good last-minute reservation to snag when needed.
- The Disney Dining Plan is accepted as one table-service credit. It’s a great bang for your buck when ordering a skillet!
- If you don’t want to be in the mix of the main dining room, ask to be seated in one of the back areas, near the fireplace for example. You can also let your server know if you prefer to enjoy a quiet meal. They will cut the silly antics back for your table.
- Visiting Disney’s Wilderness Lodge over Christmas is a wonderful time because of the beautiful decorations, especially the massive Christmas tree in the lobby! This is an ideal time to dine at Whispering Canyon as you can overlook the gorgeous tree while you dine.
- Easter and Mother’s Day are other excellent times to dine as Whispering Canyon tends to offer special menus for these holidays.
Have a great time horsin’ around and dining on some “chuck wagon” grub!
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.