Guests visiting EPCOT at Walt Disney World Resort better get ready to crank up the mixtape and blast off on an awesome intergalactic chase through time and space in Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind! This new family-thrill coaster is another major milestone in the ongoing transformation of EPCOT and debuted as part of the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration. Before heading off to save the galaxy, here’s a guide to who’s who and some pretty cool facts about this amazing attraction.
Who Are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
This group of intergalactic outlaws became unlikely heroes of Xandar when defending the planet from utter destruction. Now pardoned as thanks for their brave and selfless acts, the Guardians travel the galaxy in search of new missions. They are:
- Star-Lord (a.k.a. Peter Quill) – Originally from Earth, the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy brings a snarky sense of humor to protecting the universe from any and all threats
- Drax – A brutally honest warrior with superior strength and combat skills (and very little regard for metaphor), ready to destroy any enemies of the galaxy
- Gamora – Raised as a living weapon, she seeks redemption as a member of the Guardians, putting her extraordinary fighting abilities to good use
- Groot – The sentient tree-like creature known as a Flora colossus whose vocabulistics are limited to “I” and “am” and “Groot” (exclusively in that order) branches out of his comfort zone to help the Guardians keep the universe safe
- Rocket – The genetically enhanced creature is the Guardians’ weapons and tactical expert, risking his hide to defend the cosmos one wisecrack at a time
Cool Terms and People
Andromeda Galaxy – Spiral galaxy home to the Xandar system; galaxy nearest the Milky Way
Xandar – Paradise-like planet in the Andromeda Galaxy home to a diverse, peace-loving population
Terra – Xandarian term for Earth, home to Terrans (residents of Earth)
Wonders of Xandar Pavilion – First “other-world” showcase pavilion at EPCOT, where the people of Terra can learn more about Xandarians and their technologies, as well as the commonalities between the two cultures
Galaxarium – Sweeping planetarium-style space showcasing planets, stars and other intergalactic wonders that connect Terra and Xandar
Worldmind – Xandarian supercomputer that narrates the Galaxarium; holds the collective knowledge, memory and experience of all the Xandarian people
Xandar Gallery – Showcase of Xandarian people, culture and history – including the heroes of Xandar – through specially crafted displays
“Good Morning Xandar” – Popular news program on Xandar, often featuring interviews with famous personalities
Phase Chamber – Xandarian teleportation room used to instantaneously transport people from Terra’s surface to an orbiting ship
Treasures of Xandar – Retail shop at the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, operated by The Broker Jump Points – Artificial tunnels in space allowing for rapid travel between two different points separated by a vast distance
Cosmic Generator – Xandarian technology that creates jump points, linking distant points in space to one another
Nova Corps – Defense and peacekeeping force for Xandar and the Andromeda Galaxy
Nova Prime Irani Rael – Leader of the Nova Corps, charged with protecting the Xandarian people from threats while serving as an emissary of peace through understanding across the galaxy
Centurion Tal Marik – Commander of the Starcharter, leader of the Nova Corps peacekeeping efforts, and close advisor to Nova Prime (this is the character’s first appearance, as he was created for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind)
Starblaster – Nova Corps short-range patrol craft, notable for its eight pointy fins that look like a star; can connect with other Starblasters to form a physical barrier
Starcharter – Large Nova Corps cruiser
Starjumper – Small escape shuttle that launches from a Nova Corps Starcharter
M-Ship – Class of personal spacecraft owned by Peter Quill, serving as base of operations for the Guardians of the Galaxy
Celestial – A cosmic being of immense power whose size and scope defy human perception Eson – A Celestial watching over Earth for eons, growing increasingly frustrated with the course of human history
I Am Groot – I am Groot
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – Fun Facts
- A Starblaster ship rests in a docking stand outside the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, the first full-size version of this Xandarian ship ever built.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind is the longest fully enclosed coaster in any Disney theme park and one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world.
- The attraction covers more than 200,000 square feet, with its main show building stretching longer than an American football field. This massive structure’s foundation contains more than 80 miles of rebar and 9,000-plus cubic yards of concrete. By volume, four Spaceship Earths would fit inside this show building.
- Academy Award® nominee Glenn Close reprises her role from “Guardians of the Galaxy” as Nova Prime Irani Rael, the leader of Xandar and commander of the Nova Corps.
- Disney Imagineers were on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” to film with the Guardians for this new attraction.
- Composer Tyler Bates from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films created more than two hours of new music for the attraction’s score.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind features more than 75 minutes of original content.
- I am Groot.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.