‘Magic Happens’ Parade at Disneyland – What You Need to Know
The “Magic Happens” parade at Disneyland Park is back! The incredible “Magic Happens” daytime spectacular celebrates the awe-inspiring moments of magic that are at the heart of so many Disney stories. This parade, led by Mickey Mouse and his pals, celebrates moments of magic from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios films as they are brought to life on a grand scale with stunning floats, artistic costumes, and a surprising and energetic musical score combined with beloved Disney tunes. Catch all the details of this parade below.
“When you come to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, there are so many ways to immerse yourself in our stories, but a parade is a unique experience because it’s the only way for you, as the audience, to stay in one place and have so many stories, characters and magical moments pass right in front of you,” said David Duffy, creative director for Disney Live Entertainment. “We’ve designed the ‘Magic Happens’ floats so that characters, scenes and surprises are revealed a little at a time, making each float a journey of discovery.”
“Magic Happens” includes something for everyone and will be enjoyed by guests of all ages. This new parade features nine newly designed floats, highlighting magic from classic Walt Disney Animation Studios tales such as “The Sword in the Stone,” “Cinderella” and “Sleeping Beauty,” to more recent stories including “Frozen 2,” “Moana” and “The Princess and the Frog,” as well as Disney and Pixar’s “Coco.” The new floats were created as pieces of moving art, with their lines and aesthetic design working to tell a story along the parade route, while also evoking a sense of magic.
“This parade celebrates the way magic affects both the characters in the stories and the guests who are watching,” says Jordan Peterson, show director for Disney Live Entertainment. “‘Magic Happens’ is like a love letter to those special transformative moments.”
In addition to the stunning floats, the parade route along Main Street, U.S.A., is filled with dynamic performers and more than two dozen Disney and Pixar characters. The parade’s costume design draws inspiration directly from modern runways, making each costume look fashion-forward, yet uniquely Disney. Many performers and characters in “Magic Happens” don all-new costumes, specifically made for this parade.
While the music and stories seen in “Magic Happens” are rooted in iconic Disney lore, the soundtrack and choreography are heavily influenced by today’s pop culture designers, putting a contemporary spin on the classic Disney hits. “Magic Happens” features an energetic musical score and new songs, co-composed by singer-songwriter, Todrick Hall.
“This is a full circle moment for me,” said Hall, who began his career at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida as a performer in “Beauty and the Beast – Live on Stage.” “I learned how to dance from watching Disney parades, so the fact that I am getting to create the music that these iconic Disney characters are going to be performing to is pretty much the most epic thing that has happened to me in my life!”
“Magic Happens” is a whimsical and joyous procession that allows the Disney magic to shine through. The parade features distinct stories with a mix of characters, making it feel contemporary and classic, fun and regal, and surprising and familiar – all at the same time. Highlights of the all-new “Magic Happens” parade include:
- Mickey Mouse leads the way, gliding along on glistening swirls of magic emanating from a giant, iridescent magical hat. Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto and Chip ‘n Dale join in, dancing along with a group of eclectic and artsy performers representing stylized aspects of magic.
- On her voyager canoe, Moana journeys forth on the crest of a towering wave, inspired by beautiful koa wood carvings, and inset with dazzling, animated glimpses into the magic the ocean holds. This is the first full-scale “Moana”-inspired float to be created for a Disney park.
- Joining Moana on her journey is Maui, who travels along on his own magical piece of the islands with Moana’s adorable pet pig, Pua. Maui makes his official Disneyland Resort debut in “Magic Happens.”
- Miguel appears in person for the first time, celebrating the magic that happens when he strums the guitar of Ernesto de la Cruz in the Disney and Pixar film “Coco.” This spectacular float connects the Land of the Living and the Land of the Dead with a vibrant marigold bridge, and fantastical alebrije spirit animals join the procession, along with Miguel’s dog Dante. This is the first time the film “Coco” has inspired a float for a Disney Parks parade.
- From “Frozen 2,” Anna and Elsa explore the mysteries of the Enchanted Forest protected by the Nokk, the mystical water spirit, as their friends Kristoff, Sven and Olaf tag along.
- The regal grand finale of “Magic Happens” celebrates magical moments from several classic Disney stories. The start of the finale brings together a collection of many iconic magical characters, including Genie, Aladdin, Tinker Bell, Peter Pan, Blue Fairy, Pinocchio and Fairy Godmother. These characters lead the way as more floats are introduced, each highlighting the moments of magic that changed the characters’ lives:
- From “Cinderella,” guests watch the moment of “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” as Cinderella is seen inside a grand pumpkin, just as it magically transforms into a glistening carriage to whisk her off to the ball.
- From “The Sword in the Stone,” Merlin wisely leads the way for young Arthur, who finds the magic within himself as he pulls the sword from the stone, claiming his place upon the throne.
- Tiana and Naveen from “The Princess and the Frog” are seen amidst a swirl of golden flowers where they share a kiss, completing their transformation back into human forms.
- The happily-ever-after scene from “Sleeping Beauty” features the three good fairies and Princess Aurora, whose gown shimmers between hues of pink and blue.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.