Very few Disney World guests who have had the pleasure of experiencing California Grill and the top of the Contemporary Resort would argue it’s not in the top 5 best restaurants at Disney World. Without question, the quality of the food may only be eclipsed by the amazing views from the dining area and the observation decks available on the top of Disney’s most iconic hotel. There’s great news just released from Disney World that guests will have an all new offering available for the first time ever in the form of a Sunday brunch.
The new Brunch at the Top is the perfect way to indulge on a leisurely Sunday – not quite breakfast, not quite lunch. Chef Brian Piasecki’s team is excited to launch a whole new menu to showcase their fresh, market-driven cuisine. Of course a glass of bubbly or wine (the restaurant has more than 1,600 bottles on display) pairs nicely. And there’s an over-the-top Bloody Mary Bar as well as cocktails and craft brews, as well as a signature brunch cocktail and faux “mimosas” for kids (though you can also stick with the custom-roast French press coffee).
And here’s the fun part – you get the chance to interact with the culinary team in the open show kitchen while savoring charcuterie, sushi and market-inspired salads. Start the experience with an assortment of house-made breakfast pastries delivered to your table (think caramel apple Monkey bread, Tillamook Cheddar biscuit and cranberry scones pecan) with house-made jam and orange blossom honey butter. Then head to the show kitchen for small tastes such as house smoked orange honey ham, deviled Lake Meadow Naturals eggs, Greek yogurt with vanilla-scented granola and fresh berries, kale and apple salad, baby iceberg wedge with Cherrywood bacon and avocado-buttermilk Ranch dressing, hardwood smoked salmon, California rolls with jumbo lump crabmeat, spicy tuna rolls and shrimp tempura with orange drizzle and mango. (That’s just a sampling.)
Then choose your next course, delivered tableside:
- Pan-Fried Buttermilk Organic Chicken Cutlet with Haricots Verts, Toasted Almonds, Frisée, Beurre Noisette;
- Sweet Potato Pancakes with Caramelized Heirloom Apples, Dried Cranberry and Raisin Compote, Vanilla
- Custard, Warm Canadian Maple Syrup;
- Shrimp and Grits, Gulf White Shrimp with Tillamook Cheddar Grits, Spicy Tomato Broth,
- Espellette-Spiced Tomato Ragout;
- Poached Lobster Benedict with Butter-Poached Tail, Two Soft-Poached Eggs, Honey Ham,
- Yuzu Hollandaise, Marble Potato Hash;
- Chef’s Frittata with Three Lake Meadow Farms Eggs, Florida Heirloom Tomatoes, Roasted Poblanos, Chorizo, Creamy Goat Cheese, Marble Potato Hash;
- Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Soft Poached Eggs, Chimichurri, Marble Potato Hash and Charred Red Onion.
If there’s room, share sweet mini-desserts, macarons and chocolate truffles while enjoying the beautiful skyline out the floor-to-ceiling windows. The restaurant’s Mid-Century Modern design has a different vibe in the daytime – Disney fans will want to check out the carpet, inspired by artist and Disney Legend Mary Blair’s sketches. Mary created the character designs for iconic Disney attractions such as “it’s a small world” and inspired the colorful mosaic tile art stretching 10 floors high on the fourth floor of Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Fun little detail.
Cost is $80, $48 ages 3 to 11. Reservations open December 16, and can be made by visiting DisneyWorld.com/dine or by calling 407-WDW-DINE.