Beloved Disney characters will be part of the magic as the Disneyland Resort theme parks reopen April 30, 2021. Characters from dozens of favorite Disney stories may be spotted waving and playing across Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park. They may even pop up posing in the background of selfies. To help maintain physical distancing, certain experiences that draw large group gatherings – such as parades, stage shows and nighttime spectaculars – will return at a later date.
Guests are encouraged to check Disneyland.com for the latest updates to entertainment. Here’s what guests can expect when the theme parks reopen on April 30, 2021:
- Main Street, U.S.A. – Mickey Mouse and some of his pals may be seen waving from the steps of the Disneyland Railroad station.
- Royal Theatre in Fantasyland – From Cinderella to Rapunzel, Snow White, Mulan, Elena of Avalor and many others, guests will be delighted as they are greeted by Disney Royalty. Princesses will pose and wave at a distance for photos with their royal guests.
- Small World Terrace – Alice and other wonderful Disney friends frolic in the fun as they invite guests to see them at a distance at Small World Terrace.
- New Orleans Square – The characters of New Orleans Square have returned to their old haunts, and some new ones: Tiana and the pirate known as Redd take up residence on some of the more elevated positions in the land, interacting with guests from afar on the balcony of the 21 Royal Residence, above Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Mickey’s Toontown – Mickey Mouse and his friends have returned to their homes at Mickey’s Toontown where guests can wave to them and take photos from a distance outside their wacky abodes, and at the Toontown gazebo.
- Rancho del Zocalo in Frontierland – At Zocalo Park, guests may spot Miguel dressed in mariachi finery and waving to everyone from among the colorful marigolds and papel picado décor inspired by Disney and Pixar’s award-winning film, “Coco.”
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – While living their own adventures in a galaxy far, far away, guests are likely to come across familiar faces as they explore the Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. Heroes of the Resistance including Rey, Chewbacca and Vi Moradi may be spotted on the platforms above the speeder garage in Black Spire Station. A contingent of First Order Stormtroopers join Kylo Ren in patrolling the landing platform at Docking Bay 9 beneath their TIE Echelon vehicle.
Disney California Adventure Park
- Carthay Fountain/Buena Vista Street – As guests reach the heart of Disney California Adventure, they will find themselves drawn to the fountain as the center of the action. Mickey Mouse and his friends have stepped out on the town in order to wave hello and welcome back all their friends.
- Super Heroes – When Disneyland Resort reopens, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes will make their way to the Hollywood Backlot Stage, where adoring fans can wave and cheer for Black Widow, Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Black Panther and the Dora Milaje, as they strike heroic poses throughout the day.
- Cars Land – At Radiator Springs, guests can share a laugh and take memorable photos with some of their favorite characters such as Mater, Lightning McQueen and Red the fire truck along the land’s Route 66.
- Pixar Pals – A variety of Pixar characters such as Woody, Jessie, Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Edna Mode, Frozone, and Joy and Sadness will wave and pose from the Pixar Pier bandshell stage.
- Disney Junior – Favorite Disney Junior stars, from Vampirina to Doc McStuffins, wave and interact with their friends from the stage of the Disney Theater in Hollywood Land.
- Paradise Gardens Park – Guests may see Officer Judy Hopps and her friend Nick Wilde from Disney’s “Zootopia” on patrol.
These entertainment experiences will happen frequently throughout the day, bringing a dose of Disney surprise and magic to numerous areas across the parks.
RELATED ARTICLE: New Details on Disneyland Attraction & Entertainment Reopenings
by Chad and Cindy Nykamp
With just four weeks until Disneyland Resort opens, we’re getting more and more details on what guests can expect when both Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park reopen on April 30. Learn about what you can expect with attractions and entertainment at both parks below.
Disney Cast Member Michael Ramirez has all the details below:
As we gear up for the planned reopening of Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park on April 30, we’re excited to share details about the attractions and entertainment you will be able to experience on your next visit.
There will be plenty of magic to go around in different and new ways, including surprise appearances by favorite Disney friends! Plus, most of your favorite attractions will be available at both parks for you to enjoy. As we’ve noted previously, select attractions and certain experiences that draw large group gatherings—such as parades and nighttime spectaculars—will return at a later date. See full details on Disneyland.com.
Travel to a galaxy far, far away
The remote planet of Batuu is waiting for travelers like you to live your own Star Wars adventure! While you explore Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, experience a climactic battle between the Resistance and the First Order on Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance or take control of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.
Upon reopening, we’ll continue leveraging a virtual queue system for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.* The attraction’s virtual queue is only accessible via the Disneyland mobile app, and you may only experience the attraction by joining the virtual queue. Distribution times for virtual queue enrollment will be twice daily, one in the morning, and one later in the day. Specific times and details will be shared at a later date on Disneyland.com.
- Guests with a valid ticket and theme park reservation who will start their day at Disneyland park will be able to access the virtual queue system and check for an available boarding group in the morning on the day of their park reservation. Guests will need to have their park tickets linked to their Disney account.
- To access the second virtual queue opportunity for later that day, guests must have a valid ticket and park reservation, and have entered Disneyland park, or Disney California Adventure park with a Park Hopper ticket by the second enrollment time. Guests beginning their day at Disney California Adventure Park may then enter Disneyland park with their Park Hopper ticket after 1 p.m. for their boarding group.
You may also come across some familiar faces as you wander Black Spire Outpost, including Rey, Chewbacca and Vi Moradi. They may be spotted above the speeder garage at Black Spire Station. Watch out for Stormtroopers, along with Kylo Ren himself, patrolling a platform where a TIE Echelon starfighter looms.
Chase thrilling adventures and cherish the classics
Hop aboard the wildest ride in the wilderness on the high-speed Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – a Disneyland park favorite – taking you past spires and buttes, and into tunnels and shafts of a dark and mysterious mine. If you prefer to rock out with Rocket, grove along to the tunes (and rollin’ drops) on Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! in Disney California Adventure park.
For a dose of nostalgia in Disneyland park, check out the newly reimagined Snow White’s Enchanted Wish and freshly fancified King Arthur Carrousel in Fantasyland. Then visit the Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square, home to 999 happy haunts and a few more spirited enhancements.
Greet beloved Disney friends with a wave
Favorite characters may be spotted throughout the day waving to visiting friends, posing in the background of photos and having fun playing in the parks. At Disneyland park, you may see Mickey Mouse and some of his pals from the steps of the Main Street, U.S.A. railroad station. Or perhaps they may be found outside their homes in Mickey’s Toontown, waving a friendly welcome to visitors of all ages.
You may also see Disney Princesses like Mulan or Belle at the Royal Theatre in Fantasyland or look to the beautiful balconies of New Orleans Square to catch sight of Captain Jack Sparrow. At Rancho del Zocolo in Frontierland, you might also catch intermittent appearances by Miguel from Disney and Pixar’s “Coco.”
Character sightings at Disney California Adventure park may include friends appearing at Carthay Circle and the Pixar Pier bandshell. Disney Junior stars, from Vampirina to Doc McStuffins, may say hello from the stage of the Disney Theater in Hollywood Land.
Step into your favorite Pixar stories
Zoom through Cars Land in Disney California Adventure park, and brake when you see Lightning McQueen, Mater and Red for photos along Route 66. Afterwards, it’s time for high-octane fun on Radiator Springs Racers to see who is the fastest racer in Ornament Valley!
Over at Pixar Pier, you’ll discover a whimsical boardwalk. Grab a pair of 3D glasses and join Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie and the rest of the gang for an exhilarating spin on Toy Story Midway Mania. You can also join the Parr family for an incredible, high-speed adventure on the Incredicoaster. Pixar Pier is also the perfect place to spot some Pixar pals!
Assemble with Avengers in Hollywood Land
Throughout the day in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure park, cheer for some of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, including Black Widow, Captain America, Thor, Spider-Man, Black Panther and the Dora Milaje, as they strike heroic poses from the Hollywood Backlot Stage. These Super Heroes will then be regular visitors at Avengers Campus, when the new land opens on June 4.
Both a theme park reservation and valid admission ticket for the same park on the same date are required for guests ages 3 and up. Guests must have a valid theme park admission ticket in order to make a reservation. Theme park reservations will be limited and subject to availability and, until further notice, only California residents may visit the parks, and in groups no larger than 3 households, in line with current state guidelines. For details on how to make a theme park reservation, click here.
We hope to see you back at the parks, making special memories in new ways.
*Access to a Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed. In order to give as many Guests as possible the opportunity to join the Resistance, each Guest can enter the virtual queue no more than once per day.
As a reminder, only Guests with a valid admission into Disneyland Park will be able to experience Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, subject to availability. Distribution times are subject to change or cancellation.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.