EPCOT is getting a new roller coaster and we couldn’t be more excited! Disney has shared a new video of the testing of the ride vehicles and it looks amazing. Catch the details below.
Disney Cast Member Thomas Smith shares more below:
Josh D’Amaro, Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, recently took the virtual stage at the IAAPA Expo: Virtual Education Conference, where he shared a behind-the-scenes look at the lessons we’ve learned over the past year, and the ways we’re moving forward into 2021 and beyond.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Work also continues on Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – the family-friendly “storytelling coaster” featuring a groundbreaking ride system with vehicles that rotate 360 degrees and can even do a reverse launch!
The Omnicoaster is a first- of-its-kind programmable roller coaster ride system, where guests can be rotated along the ride track in any direction while traveling at high speeds. The Omnicoaster name builds upon the tradition of the Omnimover ride system in which Walt Disney Imagineers are able to turn guests in any direction and focus their attention on a specific scene or element.
RELATED ARTICLE: What’s Coming to Walt Disney World for the 50th Anniversary in 2021
by Mike and Jamie Sylvester
We are preparing for “The World’s Most Magic Celebration” – the Walt Disney World Resort’s 50th Anniversary! October 1, 2021, will ring in 50 years of magic and memories in the heart of Florida. Of course, Disney knows how to throw a party, and we are all invited! In honor of their 50th, Disney is opening several new experiences, including attractions, resorts, dining, entertainment, and everything in between. Much of the work for this incredible celebration is currently underway, which means we will benefit with new experiences leading all the way up to the 50th, and beyond. Do you think 50 years is “over the hill?” Disney proves they are just getting started!
Editor’s Note: Due to the parks closing in 2020, some of the projects below may be delayed. Will will update this article when Disney releases new information on the celebration.
1 – A New 50th Logo
With any epic celebration, a logo to set the stage is a must! Well, Disney is setting the bar high for their 50th Anniversary Celebration with a beautiful new logo. Images of the logo show the Cinderella Castle making the perfect silhouette with light, pastel colors that seem to shimmer against the night-sky blue background. A big “50” is centered on the Castle with the phrase “Walt Disney World – The World’s Most Magical Celebration” below it. We have no doubt it will be a magical celebration indeed!
2 – The NEW Epcot
The park that will be undergoing the most drastic changes for the 50th Anniversary is Epcot. And by drastic changes… we mean VERY drastic! A total transformation of Epcot’s Future World is already in the works with a new “Four Neighborhoods” and storytelling theme moving in. A completely renovated entrance will greet Epcot guests. There are fantastic new attractions that (may) be completed before or by the 50th Anniversary such as Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, PLAY! Pavilion, Journey of Water inspired by Moana, Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, and Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along. An exciting new nighttime spectacular called HarmonioUS is being prepared to wow guests. Plus, new restaurants such as Space 220, Regal Eagle Smokehouse, and La Crêperie de Paris will be arriving.
3 – Tron Lightcycle Run Rollercoaster
Tron is on its way to Magic Kingdom, and we, for one, couldn’t be more excited! If you’ve been to Magic Kingdom recently, chances are you’ve seen the mass construction taking place just beyond Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. Keep in mind that the construction requires the temporary closure of the Walt Disney World Railroad. To get a close look at this steel rollercoaster’s progress, take a ride on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover. You can also see much of the construction when standing on the other side of Barnstormer in Fantasyland. Finally, if you’re looking for an expansive view, head to the top of Disney’s Bay Lake Tower Resort.
Unlike some of the new arrivals planned for 2021, we already have an idea of what to expect from Tron Lightcylce Run as it is an extremely popular attraction at Shanghai Disneyland Park (with a slightly different name)! It’s a semi-enclosed rollercoaster themed after Disney’s Tron film series. Guests will have the opportunity to sit on what looks like a motorbike (aka “Lightcycle”) and be launched around the coaster track at suspected speeds of 60 mph! Want a sneak peek at what to expect? YouTube Shanghai Tron Lightcycle and ride along. Tron fan or not – this attraction is going to be amazing!
4 – Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser
If you’re a Star Wars fan, you may want to be sitting down for this one! For the first time ever, Disney is preparing for a truly ALL immersive Star Wars experience that we’ve only dreamed of. It’s a resort, but not a resort. An attraction, but not an attraction. Entertainment, but not entertainment. It’s, it’s… a STARCRUISER! Near Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests board what is called a Halcyon – a Starcruiser known throughout the galaxy for its impeccable service and exotic destinations. Each “adventure” is a 2-night experience with a stay in well-appointed Passenger Cabins offering a view of space. The Starcruiser is scheduled to open sometime in 2021. Save those bills now in preparation for this first of its kind voyage!
New”ISH” Experiences in 2021:
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway: Wouldn’t it be lovely to have a picnic with the sweet Mickey and Minnie? Well, now you can with the first-ever Mickey and Minnie themed attraction. In the location of the former Great Movie Ride, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature a ride-along experience through a storyline where Goofy as the conductor. This family-friendly attraction is said to be home to the most hidden Mickey’s in any Disney attraction in the whole world!
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge: It’s crazy to think that when Walt Disney World celebrates its 50th anniversary, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be celebrating its 2nd Anniversary! Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is Disney’s best attraction yet!
- Toy Story Land: Toy Story Land will be celebrating a 3-year anniversary in 2021! Time flies when you’re having fun.
As mentioned above, some of the NEW Epcot will be unfolding all the way up to the 50th Anniversary. A few experiences expected to open later this year are included below.
- Epcot Forever: You can now catch a temporary nighttime spectacular called “Epcot Forever.” This limited-time show will be a celebration of the past, present, and future of Epcot, built around the magical soundtrack guests have come to know and love at the park.
- Regal Eagle Smokehouse: Craft Drafts & Barbecue: A new quick-service restaurant opened in the American Adventure Pavilion in early 2020. This modern barbecue smokehouse will feature American barbecue and brews.
- Pandora – World of Avatar: Can you believe that in 2021 Animal Kingdom’s newest land, Pandora, will be celebrating its’ 4-year anniversary! We just had to include this must-do land.
- NBA Experience: The NBA Experience has taken over the former DisneyQuest location in Disney Springs. This experience opened on August 12, 2019, and is making for the perfect place for all basketball fans to score big with interactive experiences revolving around NBA.
- Riviera Resort: A stunning European inspired resort and Disney Vacation Club’s 15th Resort home, opened doors to guests on December 16, 2019. Located close to Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, Riviera guests have the opportunity to catch a ride on the Disney Skyliner for easy access to and from Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
- Gran Destino Tower: A massive new tower erupted at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort! As of July 2019, guests have been enjoying their stays in one of the 545 new rooms. Plus, new dining experiences have rave reviews including the rooftop table service restaurant (Toledo – Tapas, Steak & Seafood) and an island restaurant (Three Bridges Bar & Grill).
- Disney Skyliner: Let’s not forget the latest in Disney’s transportation! On the Skyliner, guests can take a ride on the Skyliner to and from Disney Resorts including Riviera Resort, Caribbean Beach Resort, Art of Animation Resort and Pop Century Resort to access Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Take advantage of all the new happenings inside Epcot and Hollywood Studios with an easy ride on the Skyliner.
Don’t wait! Go ahead and begin making plans now to experience “The World’s Most Magic Celebration” for the 50th Anniversary that will be long remembered.
For a no obligation, FREE Quote on a Disney vacation package, please contact our travel partner Magical Vacation Planner at 407-442-0227 (407-442-0215 for Spanish). You can also request a FREE quote online by Clicking HERE.